I hope you’re all having a wonderful week before Christmas. We are enjoying heavy-duty snow that caused a two-hour delay for school every day last week, and are pretty much snowed in this week, which has made our time at home deliciously quiet and lazy. This kind of snow is a novelty for Kennewick, so it’s been fun to have a true White Christmas.
I stole this tag from Rachel because I thought it looked fun (sorry I didn’t even ask, Rache!)
1. Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags? Gift bags in a hurry, paper when I have time. I really don’t enjoy wrapping presents, though…it comes to close to a craft.
2. Real Tree or artificial? Real. Every year I think “we should really get an artificial tree and save the hassle,” and then every year once the real tree’s up, I’m so glad we didn’t. Gorgeous!
3. When do you put up the tree? The first weekend of December
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually right after the New Year, depending on how dry it is.
5. Do you like egg nog? Not really, but Derrick and Rachael can guzzle it like water
6. Favorite gift received as a child? An oversized, stuffed doll that my mom made me by hand, with yellow yarn hair and a yellow and blue flowered dress with bloomers and everything. I thought about doing the same for my girls this year, until I saw the pattern and remembered that I don’t know how to sew.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My in-laws. They really do have everything.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Ethan. He loves it all!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? A really cheesy one I got for $8.00 at Deseret Book. We’ve gone through several sets and keep losing pieces, so I’m holding out for a nice one when the kids are a bit older.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail! Probably my very favorite Christmas tradition…so I’d better get one from anyone who’s reading this.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? When I was about six, my brother said he had a fancy gift for me. I unwrapped a beautiful, velvet jewelry box, and opened it anticipating diamond earrings or some other gift so likely from my ten year old brother. Imagine my surprise when a pair of underwear popped out of the box! (At least they had ruffles on the behind.) Still not over it, Doug.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Mr. Krueger’s Christmas. I bawl like a baby every time.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Mid-November. I get about 85% done, and think I’m home free, then remember the last 15% and fly into a panic the week before Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Does putting ruffled undies on one of my stuffed animals count?
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles. We rarely make them any other time of the year, and I can eat the dough like it’s ice cream.
16. Lights on the tree? Yes. All white and lovely.
17. Favorite Christmas Song? “We Three Kings/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” medley by BareNaked Ladies and Sarah Maclaughlin.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home!!
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? …Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph. Oh, and does “Olive the Other Reindeer” count these days? I read that story to Ethan the other night and realized what a massive ripoff it is of the Rudolph story. She used her nose to “smell” Santa’s sleigh home instead of lighting it. Shameless Christmas cash cow, but Ethan loves it.
20. Angel on top of the tree or star? Star. Ours is crooked this year and no number of attempts will straighten it.
21. Open the presents on Christmas Eve or Morning? One on Christmas Eve and the rest Christmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Un-fun, obligatory parties and the post office.
23. Favorite ornament? The silver snowflake Melissa and Morgan bought us years ago.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? My mom’s homemade rolls and pumpkin pie. I guess I’m a traditionalist.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A new computer and a nap.